Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Setting the Circus Aside and Previewing a Potential key Player on Sunday: Safety Sean Considine

Lots of chatter on-line because it Cowboys week in Philadelphia and we all know that he-who-must-not-be-named will be making his first appearance in the Linc since performing his one-man emotional wrecking ball act on the team psyche last year.

BUT, I am NOT here to talk about that...or rather, I hope you all didn't show up to read claptrap about that narcissistic retard...

Go here: If you want a good primer on how to welcome MEO back to the LINC Its both funny and informative and there is no way I can top it, so I linked to it.

What I'd like to do this week is focus in on what I feel are a few keys for the Eagles in Sunday's game. I could be overthinking this, but one overlooked player who could play a big role on Sunday in Safety Sean Considine...

Consider this: Jim Johnson had modified Brian Dawkins' role in the defense. Is he still the quarterback of the DBs, sure, but he has playing a bit more run support, probably because his skills as a sideline-to-sideline romper stomper have slipped a notch. This isn't to say that Dawk cannot still move around...check my previous blogs...I think Dawk looks rejuvenated this year, but face it...he may be an all-time great safety, but he is not the players he was 5 years ago...that is why I love what JJ is doing, Dawk is suited and capable of playing a "Polamalu-esque" role for the Eagles...

But back to Considine..am I the only one that has noticed some of the hits 37 has been delivering? He's not an all-pro ball hawk yet, but it looks like he is coming around and finding his place in this defense... WHY is this important? I am glad you asked. It has allowed JJ to use Dawkins in this modified role...if JJ didn't have another guy capable of running all over the field and putting his hat on the ball, he wouldn't have the option of bringing Dawkins up in a psuedo-linebacker role.

As to how this could play out on Sunday, if Sheppard is back, then JJ can insert Considine in a nickel role and move Dawkins up (if necessary), giving the Eagles a "nickel" look without sacrificing much against the run. Considine has the range to be the over-the-top rolls coverage guy, probably one of the few deficiencies in SS Michael Lewis' game....

A non-player key: PLAYING UNDER CONTROL. A lot of Philly phans would like nothing better than to see Trotter and Dawkins virtually decapitate 81 should he venture across the middle. While I cannot say this would displease me either, I am a much stronger advocate of sound tackling. I would much rather see the Eagles DBs do a solid job of making sure 81 hits the turf shortly after catching a 5 yard dink-pass than in seeing Michael Lewis try and line up a kill shot...I have two examples of how the kill shot back-fired last week....The Jags safety against Santana Moss in OT and Chargers "all-everything" LB Merriman against the Ravens...both players seemed intent on trying to get on TJ's "Jacked Up" segment...The Jags player whiffed, and Moss scorched his ass for the game-winning TD...Like Raven TE Tood Heap, who instead of being soundly wrapped up at the 3 or 4 (and maybe stretching out to the 2), bounced off Merriman's all-or-nothing body launch and landed his outstretched arms in the endzone for the game-winning score...See my point...Just get MEO on the ground fellas

No comments: