Thursday, April 26, 2007

75 Years of Eagles Football

One note before I get in the Eagles 75th anniversary. This line by Peter King, which I know I've thought many times in the past week, but never got around to posting (ed. which is why he's the syndicated Sportswriter dumbass): "I think we need to remember two things as draft-mania ratchets up in the next 48 hours: Half of these first-day picks will be total washouts after three years. That's not me throwing a wet blanket on your fun; it's historical fact."

Well anyway, the draft is not today's focus. Nope. Even though I am definitely getting psyched about it (though I may experience some interruption cause the guys will be out to install our new fiber-optic cable on Sunday morning (which is right in the middle of Day 1 for me). Today's focus is just what the Title says: the Eagles doing a fine job of celebrating 75 years as a franchise.

Go here to visit the Eagles Virtual Museum.
There is a slick, awesome intro video, downloadable .pdfs for all-time rosters, etc. Its really top-notch.

The only thing I don't really dig. The throwback uniforms. The Eagles decided to go with the very first uniforms:O.K. so (as dug up by Rodman) the Eagles are debuting the uniforms against the Lions this year, and in their very first HOME game they ever played, they played the franchise that would eventually become the Detroit Lions. So they chose their very first uniforms.

Sjoebarry elaborates: "Midway through the 1931 season, Philadelphia's representative in the NFL, the Frankford Yellow Jackets, went bankrupt and ceased operations. After more than a year of searching for a suitable replacement, the NFL awarded the dormant franchise to a syndicate headed by former Yellow Jackets owners Bert Bell and Lud Wray, in exchange for an entry fee of $2,500. Drawing inspiration from the insignia of the centerpiece of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal, the National Recovery Act, Bell and Wray named the new franchise the Philadelphia Eagles. (Neither the Eagles nor the NFL officially regard the two franchises as the same, citing the aforementioned period of dormancy; furthermore, almost no Yellow Jackets players were on the Eagles' first roster. Some observers, however, believe the two teams should be treated as one.) The Eagles, along with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the defunct Cincinnati Reds, joined the NFL as expansion teams."

But that doesn't mean I have to like them.
When I think of the Eagles, I don't think baby blue and gold
I don't bleed blue and gold
I BLEED GREEN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Askіng queѕtions агe іn fаct pleаsant thіng if уou are not unԁerstanԁing
anything completely, howevеr this artiсle ргovіԁеs nice understanding even.



Feel frеe to visit my wеb site - Read the Full Guide