Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Run EAGLES Run; Why I Just Cannot Root for the Phillies, and a passing thought on Ryan Howard

I like the article today about how the Eagles are going to run the ball more... of course, it would difficult for the Eagles to run the ball LESS than they did last year (only the Raiders and Cardinals accomplished that feat). What they need in some atty-tude runs early in games, and let than new beef ball some punks off the line a few times...The Eagles have had some decent O-Line recent, but they get so accustomed to rocking back in their stances to pass protect that it seems like they never quite get their rhythm when they try and run....then they get discouraged and stop trying...I hope that Marty Mohrningwheg changes that, I think a 2003 45/55% run/pass ratio would be great for this team for a few reasons:
- The Eagles do have some dangerous runners...much as folks like to dismiss our backs, Westbrook is explosive and Moats flashed some decent skills running behind a sub-par O-line last line
- Running will help keep McNabb healthy, whenever we go pass-whacky, it jeopardizes "5" cause he generally take more hits...
- But you know what, most Eagles fans already knows this, since we are the most knowledgeable, best fans in the sport (shameless plug) so I am going to shift gears to a different sport: one I tend to dislike - Baseball.

I know there is some debate about whether or not Phans are getting excited about the Phillies "wildcard" run...I, for one, am NOT...
My first reason: I vowed last year never to root for this team again while under its current ownership. I believe the current owners do not care about winning, and that all they want to be competitive and sucker phans into the stands...
My second reason: I just don't see the Phillies being a team that going to reach out and take this wildcard take...its there for the taking, and what do I see the Phils doing? splitting double-headers, losing leads in the 9th inning, etc...these are not the signs that one wants to see from a team that COULD, if they got it together, simply snatch this postseason opening as their own...
My third reason: I am not going to be fair-weather phan, I haven't rooted for them all season, I haven't changed my mind about their pitching (not good enough), have fun on the bandwagon...

Don't get me wrong, I am not rooting against them, I simply cannot commit any emotion to a team that let me down time and again in the past...I wish them well...

The only thing I will endeavor to comment on: Ryan Howard, I really hope he ties or breaks Roger Maris' record of 61 home runs....what? whats that you say? Barry Bonds owns the record with 74...sorry doesn't count...he juiced it up...I agree with John Smallwood, NO TEAM should offer Bonds a contract next year...let him stew at whatever 7xx figure he's at the end of this season....

No comments: