Sunday, January 07, 2007

Eagles Chances - All Comes Down to What I.F.


I was going to post a "no-matter-what-happens-its-been-a-good-ride" themed post, and I thought, nah, screw that...that too downbeat, too gloomy...I have faith that the Eagles are going to take of business today against the NY Giants for one simple reason: their WHAT I.F.? is tilted more towards the team that went 9-1 and less towards the impostors that floundered about at 1-5....

Perhaps I need to explain my I.F. of the equation:
The I stands for Intensity. By intensity I am referring to the heart, effort, and passion that typified the Eagles' play during their early and late win streaks. The Eagles were a team fired-up (especially late), one that didn't quit, played each down hard, and good things happened. The D turned up the intensity later in the season, and we witnessed improved tackling, in instances the gang-green tackling of old, and a bit of the spit-fire and swagger that carried prior Eagles teams to NFC Championship games.....

The F stands for Focus. And focus for this team means execution, each man doing his job secure in knowing that his teammates will do theirs. For the offense, its wide receivers and tight ends making catches -- no more easy drops because they were looking to run after making the catch, etc...for Garcia, it means quick reads, taking the Defense gives him and doing a generally excellent job protecting the ball, for the coaches it means realizing that we've got a damn good running back in Westbrook, a hidden force with Buck and an offensive line that will maul other teams in the run game if you give them half a chance. For the defense, focus means linemen getting off the ball, maintaining gap control, shedding blocks instead of getting velcro'd to opposition players; its linebackers not over-pursuing and Trot not having to worry about making up for OLBs; and for the DBs its become about play-making...with the front seven doing its job a whole helluva lot better down the stretch, we've seen guys like Lito and Dawk ball-hawkin' it....interceptions, fumbles, sacks....the boys in the secondary been doing it ALL....

So that's why I like the Eagles chances today...winning has become not only a matter of when, but I.F. as well.

No comments: