Monday, June 25, 2007

Bears to Johnson: "Thanks but no Tanks"

The Chicago Bears got fed up with trouble DT "Tank" Johnson after his latest brush with the law. Johnson was waived three days after he was pulled over by police in Arizona. He already had been suspended for the first eight games of the 2007 season for violating probation on a gun charge. He spent two months in jail and was released in May.

Normally, I am very harsh on professional athletes who are dumb enough to get into trouble, but for as much as my internal cynicism is telling me, "F this dude", there's another side. He hasn't been charged with anything? We don't know if he was, in fact, driving under the influence. I mean if he WAS, while on probation, it doesn't get much more stupid. But you see, Tank was a cut different from some other high-profile NFL athlete who've gotten into trouble this off-season. I mean he spent time in JAIL and appears legitimately contrite after getting out. Was it all just an act?

So was he just tired, driving at 0330 on a Saturday morning? For his sake, I would hope so. Because if its a misunderstanding and his primary "offense" is driving 40 in a 25 mph-zone, then I think some team will give him another chance.

There will be some who will excoriate his stupidity right off the bat, and I won't be far behind. Let's face it, multi-million dollar career in the balance, the dude should've been living like a fucking monk until training camp started and he was back under more direct team supervision.

No comments: