Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Going "On the Record" - Micc's NFC Breakdown

Ok folks, guess it put up time, since I've been spending so much time talkin' football...

Here is how I see the NFC breaking down.

NFC East:
1. Philadelphia Eagles- pure homer pick, I bleed green, just deal with it. McNabb is back and looks like a man on mission...is he makes any sort of connection with Stallworth early on, watch out...
2. Dallas Cowboys - Parcells got himself a pretty good D, should be in games even if they have trouble keeping Bledsoe upright...the X-factor - how much damage can America's Hamstring (he who shall not be named) do?
3. NY Giants - Return plenty of offensive talent, but they were exposed as frauds in the playoffs last year...not terribly impressed by the defensive acquisitions, Madison is over-the-hill...X-factor - a team that utilizes a roving Arrington well will field a good D
4. Washington Redskins - they may have finished strong, but I think this is a case of too many chiefs and not enough Indians for the 'Skins, I mean how many associate/asst head coaches can you have...did the Skins O really need Al Saunders to change everything up? Factor in a washed-up QB and a banged up Portis, and there is reason to worry in D.C.

NFC North:
1. Chicago Bears - my wife would kill me if I picked against her team, but to be honest, the only reason I am going with "DA Bears" is that they don't have any true competition in this division...its theirs for the taking, if they don't its their own damn fault.
2. Minnesota Vikings - Childress is following the Andy Reid formula: first year, sign massive, nasty free-agent offensive lineman and instill a sense of order and tenacity into the club...what was Reid's record the first year...oh 5-11...Vikes are better than that, but they are not ready to vault into NFC contention
3. Detroit Lions - Rod Marinelli's tough guy act will wear this team out by mid-season, factor in a bunch of underachievers and the WORST front office management in the league, and I just don't see the Lions going very far. I like the Kitna pick-up....other than that.....
4. Green Bay Packers - If you thought last year was tough on Favre...another off-season of doing nothing to address O-line woes is going to equal just one this for the cheesehead faithful - more pain for the Hall of Fame gunslinger....

NFC South:
1. Carolina Panthers - John Fox is a proven winner and his players run through walls for him...Factor in a team that is returning all its playmakers and the Panthers should be tough again this year
2. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - the D is slipping after years waiting for the offense to catch-up with it...I like Simms, I think he's going to be a fine leader for the Bucs (even though I don't like the Bucs)...Note to Gruden: the season is 16 games long, don't grind the wheels off your Cadillac so quickly this year - no need to try and cram all his carries into the first half the season...
3. Atlanta Falcons - here goes - Vick is average, face it Falcons fans, he is not going to morph into an Elway or Brady or Manning...does he need to? To lead the Falcons to a championship he does...he is the epitome of a running QB...you know all that yap about the Falcons being the NFL's premier rushing team...its bull...Vick was 25% of their running game, he outrushed Duckett fer cryin' out loud....You think the team playing in Miami in February this year is going to have a QB with 2,400 yds, 15 TDs, 13 INTs and be the second leading rusher on the team (with 600 rushing yards)? Think again, quit fooling yourselves...
4. New Orleans Saints - gets a nod for being smart/lucky enough to snag Reggie Bush...y'all got yourself the real deal down there, have fun rubbing that in Tex-ass fans faces for years to come....just not this year....

NFC West:
1. St Louis Rams...Les Mouflons (Yes I read TMQ) are probably not the brightest pick in the world, but here's why - I refuse to pick against the Superbowl hangover/Madden curse double-whammy....I am playing the odds that somehow/some-way Seattle/Shaun Alexander will fall victim to this odd "Football Gods" punishment for coming so close and not winning. Oh why would I pick the Rams....hmmm....Scott Linehan likes to run the ball, and he's got a stud RB in Steven Jackson, plus he's got Bulger and Torry Holt....they better put up points cause overall I am not thrilled with the D, though Haslett should make them competitive...
2. Seattle Seahawks - ok ok, I cannot drop them down that far can I? Seattle returns much of its Superbowl Squad, but then again, so did the Eagles...the difference for the Sea-hags this year will be injuries, avoid them and a return engagement in Jan is a definite possibility because the NFC West is pretty weak as divisions go...
3. Arizona Cardinals - ah, why didn't I go with the Cards to supplant the soon-to-be-curse-ridden 'Hawks...because I don't trust them...I love the Leinart and E. James pick-ups...but I would like them a whole lot MORE if the Cardinals had an O-Line to protect/open up holes...Edge is going to miss Jeff Saturday and Tarik Glenn real quick come opening day when he's got to start dodging DTs as soon as takes the hand-off from Warner....there ain't no 1,500-yard rushers in the desert Edge...you will learn...
4. San Francisco 49ers - I don't know what to say about the Niners...Do they have anyone left on the team that anyone recognizes? I cannot name one starter on Offensive (the QB's name is Smith I believe, I want to say Aaron, but I know Aaron Rodgers is rotting behind Favre and I am not sure they are both named Aaron...I know I know it a Google-world, why expose your ignorance to the world, just go look it up...It illustrates my point...when your most recognizable name on your "O" is draft pick TE Vernon Davis....that a bad thing....oh yeah, a little birdie tells me that picked up Larry Allen, could be a good move....now if only the Niners had a running back...

These are my NFC Playoff Teams: Philly, Dallas, Chicago, Carolina, St. Louis and Seattle...that's an appropriate amount of turn-over, cause every year it seems like half the teams that may the dance in January weren't there the year before...I know alot of folks think two teams will come from the NFC South, but I dunno....a lot of will disagree with this but you know what, that the fun part....

No comments: